"When thou comest into thy neighbor’s vineyard, and thou mayest eats grapes thy fill at thine own pleasure; but thou shalt not put any in thy vessel.
When thou comest into the standing corn of thy neighbor, then thou mayest pluck the ears with thine hand; but thou shalt not move a sickle unto thy neighbour’s standing corn." (Deuteronomy 23:24-25)
This finally explains it: why my Mom never thought it was stealing to eat grapes from the bin while at the grocery store.
- ON HEARING OF MY MOTHER'S DEATH SIX YEARS AFTER IT HAPPENED
- STORIES FROM MY MEMORY-SHELF
- TO ALL THE PENISES I'VE EVER KNOWN
- THE HANNELACK FANNY, OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORR...
- JUST THE THREE OF US
- MY LIFE WITH MICHAEL: A NOVEL OF SEX, BEER, AND MIDDLE AGE
- WORKS IN PROGRESS
- THINGS THAT MAKE ME SMILE
- THE LONG ROAD HOME