Subscribe to my newsletter!

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Flash Fiction: Night Falls

My flash fiction piece "Night Falls" has been published in Every Writer's Resource:

I originally wrote this short-short for last year’s Flash Fiction Chronicles “String of 10” Contest. The premise of the contest is a list of ten randomly generated words and a suggestive theme. You’re supposed to use at least four of the words and your interpretation of the theme to create a story of no more than 250 words. Here was the prompt for last year’s contest:

EVENING-QUARRY-ACCENT-ROSE-TEAR-MINUTE-GRAVE-CLOSE-ENTRANCE-BOW

I want to put a ding in the universe. –Steve Jobs


I decided to use all ten words – I figured that was part of the challenge – and I interpreted the Steve Jobs quote quite literally. The result was “Night Falls,” an interesting if somewhat bizarre little piece that’s totally unlike anything else I’ve ever written. Guess that proves that writing prompts really do provide creative inspiration!

If I have time, I’d like to write something for this year’s contest, too. I may have to compromise on the ten words this time around, though. It’s hard to imagine a 250-word story in which “bookmark” and “catastrophe” both appear.

LITTER-ENTRANCE-SAFE-SPIRITUAL -SPOTLIGHT-BOOKMARK-CATASTROPHE-RAZOR-FAULTY-ULTIMATE
I prefer the errors of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. -Anatole France


The deadline is February 4th. I’m looking forward to seeing how other writers tackle the premise. For that matter, I’m interested in seeing how I’m going to tackle it!




No comments:

Post a Comment