Subscribe to my newsletter!

Monday, September 1, 2014

Buffalo Jump!

Most of us have heard of the "Buffalo Jump," of course, but in all my travels, I had never actually seen the site of one before. After spending a dark and stormy night outside of Rapid City, I decided to duck over to Wyoming to visit Devil's Tower. It wasn't long after dawn when I spotted signs on the highway directing me to this noteworthy landmark:

Buffalo Jump

Very thorough explanation, isn't it? But what, you may be wondering, as I was, does the buffalo jump actually look like? After considerable searching in the early morning light, I finally realized that it lay in an unmarked field just across the road:

Buffalo Jump 2

That's one heck of a sinkhole, but it doesn't seem as though buffalo could become effectively trapped in it, does it? Perhaps not - but it was a sinkhole, after all, that was responsible for creating one of the most spectacular archaeological sites in the world today - Mammoth!

???????????????????????????????

* * *

If you would like to see more photos from my cross-country travels, please follow my new Pinterest account at http://www.pinterest.com/lorilschafer/.

For updates on my forthcoming memoir The Long Road Home, which I am drafting during this road trip, please follow my blog or subscribe to my newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment